Hip to be square: the not-so-ordinary 4" square IPS TFT display
With the escalating demand for electric vehicles (EVs), there's been a substantial rise in the need for efficient and user-friendly EV charging stations.
One of the critical components of these stations is their display units, which provide necessary information like charging status, billing details, and instructions.
This case study analyses the application of a specific 4" 1x1 aspect ratio IPS TFT LCD display in EV charging stations, outlining its key features and benefits.
The display's features
The 4" 1x1 aspect ratio, square, IPS TFT LCD display is designed with a suite of features that make it a an ideal choice for EV charging stations:
- Wide operating temperature: the display operates effectively between -20°C and +70°C, making it suitable for charging stations in a variety of climates
- High brightness and contrast ratio: with a brightness of 1,000 cd/m2 and a contrast ratio of up to 800, the display is ideal for daytime use. Users can read the information easily, even in bright sunlight
- Near 180° viewing angles: this feature enhances the display's readability from different viewpoints, providing ease of use to customers
- Optical bonding: this technique reduces glare and enhances daylight readability, allowing the display to offer high visibility under various lighting conditions
- Custom cover glass and 1:1 square design: the custom cover glass protects the display while offering a sleek look. The unique square design enables a compact form factor without compromising information display
- Low power consumption: despite its high-performance characteristics, the display uses energy efficiently, aligning with the sustainability focus of EVs
- Customisable add-ons: depending on specific requirements, customers can opt for mounting frames, antibacterial films, and custom cabling
A globally recognised EV charging infrastructure provider recently decided to upgrade its display units to enhance customer experience and operational efficiency. After a thorough market study, it chose the 4" IPS TFT LCD display for its charging stations.
The wide operating temperature range offered by the LCD display allowed the company to install its charging stations in various regions with extreme weather conditions, from hot deserts to icy tundras, without worrying about the display's performance. The high brightness and contrast ratio, along with the near 180° viewing angles, enhanced the customer's readability, even under harsh sunlight.
The optical bonding technique made the display more robust, helping it withstand day-to-day wear and tear while enhancing visibility. The 1:1 square design and custom cover glass made the stations aesthetically pleasing, attracting more customers. The low power consumption aligned with the company’s sustainability goals, providing a high-performance solution with minimal environmental impact.
The additional options like antibacterial films and custom cabling provided extra layers of safety and ease-of-use, significantly enhancing the overall user experience.
Impact and results
Since the installation of the 4", 1x1 aspect ratio, IPS TFT LCD displays, market feedback showed an increase in customer satisfaction. Customers found the new displays easier to read and interact with, especially in daylight, contributing to a smoother charging experience.
Simultaneously, the low power consumption of the display resulted in an overall reduction in the stations' operational energy costs. The robustness provided by the custom cover glass and optical bonding resulted in less maintenance, further reducing operating expenses.
Lastly, the flexibility offered by add-ons like mounting frames, antibacterial films, and custom cabling provide tailor-made solutions for different locations and customer requirements.
The 4" IPS TFT LCD display has proven to be an ideal choice for this application, offering a robust, high-performing, and customer-friendly solution. It demonstrates how careful consideration of display technology can enhance user experience, reduce operational costs, and ultimately contribute to the successful proliferation of EV charging stations.