TVS diodes target high reliability applications
Upscreened for use in aerospace, military, industrial and medical applications, two series of high reliability TVS diodes have been introduced by Littelfuse. The SMCG-HR and SMCG-HRA series devices are designed specifically to protect sensitive electronic equipment from voltage transients induced by lightning surges and other transient voltage events.
The SMCG-HR and SMCG-HRA diodes have been specially screened and sorted for use in DC line protection in avionics and other applications that demand high reliability. In addition to their availability as off-the-shelf components, customisable upscreening and sorting process flows are available to address specialised requirements.
The TVS diodes are suitable for a broad range of aviation-related applications, including fly-by-wire flight control, engine control, power supply/distribution systems, displays and other electronic equipment in the cockpit, air conditioning and infotainment systems, radar systems, advanced airborne digital computers and airfield lighting.
Charlie Cai, Global Product Manager, Hi-Rel and Automotive TVS Diodes, Littelfuse, commented: "Once, anyone whose application demanded the use of high reliability, high power TVS Diodes upscreened to specific standards had to wait far longer for delivery and pay substantially higher costs because they had to have commercial-grade components shipped to outside subcontractor labs for extra sorting processes. Now, Littelfuse can offer a broader range of off-the-shelf solutions for these applications, without the extra cost or extended lead times, as well as customisable upscreening and sorting process flows when needed.”
- The screening process flow used for military applications provides confidence in delivering high reliability performance to meet also the requirements of aerospace, industrial and medical applications;
- A flexible selection of high reliability sorting flows, which can be customised on request, simplifies addressing a variety of applications;
- Standard voltage ranges (5-120V for both uni- and bi-directional) and power ratings make them easy to design into a range of applications;
- Long history of use in the aerospace industry ensures market-proven results; and
- Gull-wing lead wire design guarantees good manufacturability in PCBA processes.
The SMCG-HR and SMCG-HRA series high-reliability TVS diodes are available in tape & reel packaging (13" reels) in 1,500 unit quantities. Off-the-shelf samples of these products are currently available for customer testing.