Analog video decoder eliminates need for external op amps
With the introduction of the TW9990, Intersil has delivered a highly integrated analog video decoder that eliminates the need for external op amps. Ideal for automotive rear camera displays, the TW9990 enables performance advantages through programmable short-to-battery and short-to-ground detection.
The quality of the video - along with the cost and footprint of the camera solution - are critical factors when adding this important safety feature to new vehicles. According to Edmunds market research, 70 percent of 2012 vehicles were outfitted with rear cameras, highlighting their popularity and importance as a safety feature.
The TW9990 video decoder is a low power analog video decoder that supports NTSC/PAL/SECAM single-ended, differential, and pseudo differential composite video inputs as well as S-Video. A single 27MHz crystal is all that is needed to decode all analog video standards. Typical power consumption is approximately 100mW for composite inputs. A power-down mode further reduces consumption.
Most automotive analog cameras are cabled as differential twisted pair to reduce common mode noise. Traditional analog video decoders only support single-ended inputs, meaning automotive system designers must place a video op amp in front of the decoder to convert differential signals to single-ended. The TW9990 video decoder eliminates the need for the external op amp and the associated cost, as it supports differential composite video signals directly, and has built-in programmable short-to-battery and short-to-ground detection. This is an essential functionality required by OEMs when supporting a differential signal input.
- NTSC/PAL/SECAM 4H adaptive comb filter Y/C separation
- Two 10-bit ADCs and analog clamping circuit
- Fully programmable static gain or automatic gain control for the Y channel
- Built-in analog anti-alias filter
- Image enhancement with peaking and CTI
- Advanced synchronization processing and sync detection for handling non-standard and weak signals
- Short-to-Battery and Short-to-Ground Detection
- Available in a wettable flank QFN package, which enables visual solder inspection.
- AEC-Q100 Grade 2 Qualified
Pricing and Availability
The TW9990 video decoder is available now in a compact 32-lead 5x5mm WFQFN in bulk tray packaging at $2.60 each in 1,000-units quantities. It is also offered in tape and reel packaging (T&R) at $2.65 each. A user friendly evaluation board, TW9990-NA1-GR-EVAL, is also available for $599.