Expanding IoT connectivity and device management capabilities
The drive to give companies the opportunity to derive real business value from IoT data is one of many factors which has fuelled Arm’s vision of a trillion connected devices by 2035. They believe that the benefits of leveraging this data are often obvious: greater efficiencies, faster time to market, cost savings and new revenue streams, and that embracing these benefits ultimately comes down to ensuring the data is trusted, secure and quickly accessible to provide meaningful insights.
The Arm Mbed IoT Device Management Platform addressed these requirements by enabling organisations to securely develop, provision and manage connected devices at scale. The next evolution of the Mbed IoT Device Management platform is now underway, with the acquisition of Stream Technologies, which will be integrated with the platform to enable connectivity management of every device regardless of location or network. Stream supports the physical connectivity across all major wireless protocols that can be managed through a single user interface. Arm believes that connecting all IoT devices is important in ensuring data is accessible at the appropriate time and cost across any use case.
The combination of Stream’s technology with Arm’s Mbed IoT Device Management Platform will aim to provide organisations with a robust end-to-end IoT platform for managing, connecting, provisioning and updating devices that is scalable and flexible. This scalability is critical as we move from billions to trillions of connected devices. In addition, Stream will work with GSMA compliant Embedded Subscriber Identity Module (eSIM) solutions, to secure identity and connectivity for IoT devices from the chip to the cloud.
Arm aims to produce many benefits from the Stream acquisition and integration with the Mbed IoT Device Management Platform, including:
- Single pane of glass that provides customer visibility and management capabilities throughout the device’s lifecycle – deployment, connectivity, provisioning, management, and updates
- eSIM orchestration that communicates and connects policies enabling zero touch onboarding that drive efficiencies and scale of IoT connections
- Global aggregation across network types and flexible wireless connectivity options that can be optimised across devices, regions, and use cases that are deployed
- Simplified billing and reconciliation through APIs and automated controls that can charge based on any event for increased flexibility
- Connect and manage any device regardless of network type to steer reliable and trusted data, push new updates and features, and optimise quality-of-service and latency for troubleshooting