Lightweight OLED displays enhance colours
Availability of high performance, medium-size OLED displays from Japan-based display supplier JOLED is announced by display and embedded systems solutions provider, Review Display Systems (RDS).
Employing innovative printed OLED technology, JOLED displays deliver outstanding optical performance and offer blur-free image quality when displaying fast moving video sequences.
The latest printed OLED display technology from JOLED offers leading benefits, such as exceptionally thin and lightweight display panels, enhanced colours, wide viewing angles, up to 4K (3840 x 2160 pixel) resolution, and nearly infinite contrast ratios.
There are three medium size OLED panels currently available including 22-inch, 27-inch and 32-inch models. All feature featuring 4K resolution and an embedded DisplayPort (eDP) data interface.
Under development is a 14.0-inch FHD (1920 x 1080 pixel) panel.
In comparison with existing LCD display modules, printed OLED panels provide significant performance advantages in terms of contrast ratio, colour gamut, response time and luminance characteristics.
Leading features of JOLED displays include:
- High contrast - contrast ratios of 1,000,000:1 enable highly saturated, deep, dark blacks and brighter whites at all viewing angles.
- Enhanced colour - a colour gamut of 138% (sRGB) delivers high colour saturation and accurate colour reproduction enabling superb image quality with 10-bit colour depth.
- Energy efficient - OLED is a self-illuminating emissive display technology - each individual picture element (pixel) can be switched on/off - no backlight is needed.
- Ultra-thin and lightweight - display thickness is just 1.3mm due to the simple, effective panel structure, the 32-inch display panel weighs just 1kg.
- Fast response time - typically 0.1mS, significantly faster than typical TFT LCD.
- User friendly - up to 40% reduction in blue light emission.
Justin Coleman, display product manager, RDS said, ‘Supporting and supplying high performance OLED displays from JOLED represents an exciting and thrilling prospect for RDS and our customers. The state-of-the-art printed OLED technology provides truly superb image quality and outstanding optical performance. These product characteristics are ideally suited for medical monitoring, broadcast equipment and entertainment systems. We are looking forward to, and eagerly anticipating developing new business opportunities with these stunning medium-size displays.”