Highly integrated SOM lowers cost
Digi International has announced the expansion of its successful ConnectCore family of products with the introduction of the Digi ConnectCore 8M Nano System on Module (SOM).
Digi International was selected by NXP as an Early Access Partner for NXP’s latest i.MX 8M Nano applications processor featuring scalable, power-efficient Arm Cortex-A53 and Cortex-M7 cores with advanced connectivity and multimedia capabilities used in the Digi ConnectCore 8M Nano SOM.
This highly integrated, cost-effective SOM platform features pre-certified wireless connectivity, an integrated device security framework, remote management, cloud integration and a complete Linux software platform based on Yocto Project. Digi ConnectCore simplifies embedded product development, enabling product manufacturers to focus on their core competency and get to market 12 to 18 months faster with 50% lower development cost and lower risk than discrete designs.
Digi ConnectCore 8M Nano strikes an optimal balance of performance, power, and cost, making it suitable for a wide range of industrial and medical products and applications including Internet of Things (IoT), human-machine interface (HMI), equipment monitoring, audio/voice, edge computing and machine learning (e.g. anomaly detection).
Digi features include:
- Digi Embedded Yocto, an open-source, production-ready Linux distribution with fully tested and maintained BSPs and APIX software extensions for security, power management and wireless connectivity.
- Pre-certified wireless connectivity (dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5 and Gigabit Ethernet).
- Digi TrustFence, an integrated, tested and complete device security framework that simplifies building secure connected products.
- Digi Microcontroller Assist (MCA), an on-board subsystem that assists with advanced power management, security, peripheral support and system reliability operations.
- Digi SMTplus, a compact, low-profile, mounting technology that eliminates board-to-board connector cost and improves performance, reliability and physical security.
- Digi Remote Manager (DRM), cloud-based device management capabilities including policy-based firmware updates, configuration management and device health monitoring.
- Digi XBee software integration enables a broad range of wireless connectivity options with Digi’s family of pre-certified modules including short-range (802.15.4 / Zigbee), long-range (868/900 MHz) and cellular (LTE Cat-1, LTE-M, NB-IoT).
This newest addition to the ConnectCore i.MX family enhances an already robust SOM portfolio, offering product developers more choice and enabling organisations to standardise on a common platform to address wide ranging product requirements.
“Through our work with NXP, we are expanding our ConnectCore family to deliver on our promise of ‘hardware enabled, software defined’ connectivity solutions,” said Mark Tekippe, Director of Product Management, Digi International. “NXP’s advancements in i.MX applications processor technology and commitment to product longevity enable us to deliver future-proof solutions that meet both technical and business needs of our industrial and medical customers.”
“We chose Digi as an early access partner because they have a strong track record bringing i.MX-based SOMs to market that reduce customer risk and accelerate product development cycles,” added Robert Thompson, Director i.MX Ecosystem Management. “Digi has taken the best of the NXP i.MX 8M Nano and added critical elements such as its software enhancements, security framework and a wide range of wireless connectivity options. These enhancements are exactly what OEM customers need and expect.”
Initial Digi ConnectCore 8M Nano development kits and software will be available through global distribution partners in February 2020.