Micro DC/DC converters designed for IoT devices
Torex Semiconductor has launched the XCL225/XCL226 series of 18V coil-integrated, step-down 'micro DC/DC' converters. The converters contribute to space-saving on the board and a shorter development time because a circuit can be configured by simply adding two external ceramic capacitors.
An internal coil simplifies the board layout and makes it possible to minimise radiation noise and circuit operation trouble. The package is a small DFN3030-10B (3.0x3.0, h=1.7mm). The maximum input voltage of 18V allows these products to be used for a wide range of industrial equipment and IoT devices, including refrigerators and air conditioners.
The operating voltage range is 3-18V, and the maximum output current is 0.5A. The switching frequency is 1.2MHz, and the XCL225 uses PWM control to provide minimum output ripple voltage by fixing the operating frequency.
The XCL226 uses PWM/PFM auto switching control to lower the operating frequency at light loads which reduces power dissipation and realises high efficiency from light loads to heavy loads. The output voltage can be set within a range of 1-15V using external resistors.
A soft start function is set internally to 1.0ms (TYP.). The soft start time can be adjusted using an external resistor.
With the addition of these products to our lineup, you can freely select as needed for your application. Torex will continue to expand the XCL series of 'micro DC/DC' converters to meet market needs.
Features of the XCL225/XCL226 Series:
- Supports an input voltage of 18V
- PWM control (XCL225 series), PWM/PFM auto switching (XCL226 series)
- High efficiency (85%: at 12V⇒5V, 1mA)
- Ultra-small package with high heat dissipation eliminates the need for derating consideration in new developments
- Integrated coil realises low EMI
- Miniaturisation makes these products suitable for reduction of PCB mounting area
- Suitable for electronic devices, POS terminals, industrial equipment, and IoT devices that use 2 or 3 lithium-ion batteries or 4 or more dry-cell batteries.