Highly integrated PMIC delivers 91% efficiency
Subsidiary of Renesas Electronics, Intersil, has introduced a highly integrated programmable power management IC (PMIC) that delivers 91% efficiency at 1.1V output voltage for application processors, GPUs, FPGAs and high-performance system power. The new PMIC’s low RDS(on) MOSFETs and programmable PWM frequency allows designers to use fewer low-profile external components, enabling a 50mm2 power-supply that the company claims is 40% smaller than competing solutions.
The ISL91211 triple/quad output PMIC is suitable for smartphones, tablet computers, solid-state drives, networking and wireless Internet of Things (IoT) devices powered by single-cell Lithium-ion (Li-on) batteries, or 2.5–5.5V power supplies.
The ISL91211 leverages Intersil’s latest R5 modulation technology to provide what it claims to be the industry’s fastest single-cycle transient response and highest switching frequency (4MHz) during load transients. Quiescent current is 62μA while the ISL91211 is regulating the output voltage. The PMIC’s light load efficiency, regulation accuracy and fast dynamic response prolong battery life.
The ISL91211 PMIC includes highly efficient synchronous buck converters capable of multiphase and single-phase operation while delivering up to 5A per phase of continuous output current. The PMIC’s four integrated buck controllers dynamically reconfigure their power stages to address a wide range of applications with high efficiency and high output power. Precise current sensing allows the ISL91211 to automatically and smoothly add or drop phases to optimise power efficiency, and provide overcurrent protection without requiring DCR or resistor sensing circuits at the inductor.
“The latest generation of application processors requires a new PMIC modulation architecture that can dramatically shrink solution size and increase efficiency,” said Andrew Cowell, Senior Vice President of Mobile Power Products at Intersil. “The ISL91211 employs Intersil’s new R5 modulator to deliver blazingly fast transient performance and everything designers need to simplify board layout and dynamically scale power supply performance to meet the requirements of today’s multi-core processors.”
Key features and specifications of ISL91211:
- Available in two factory configurable options:
- ISL91211A: four-phase, three output rails configured as 2+1+1 phase
- ISL91211B: four-phase, four output rails configured as 1+1+1+1 phase
- 5A maximum current per phase up to 20A with four phases
- R5 modulator architecture balances current loads with smooth phase adding and dropping for power efficiency optimisation
- Automatic diode emulation mode for 91% efficiency at 1.1V output voltage
- Less than 0.1µA quiescent current (Iq) when EN=0V, and 17µA when EN=3.7V
- Independent dynamic voltage scaling for each output
- Input voltage range of 2.5-5.5V
- ±0.7% system accuracy; Output voltage remote sensing for accurate voltage regulation at the point-of-load
- I2C and SPI programmable output from 0.3-2V
- Soft-start and full protection against undervoltage, overvoltage, overcurrent, and overtemperature
The ISL91211A triple-output PMIC and ISL91211B quad-output PMIC can be combined with Intersil ISL91127 high efficiency buck-boost regulators to provide application processor and subsystem peripheral rails for battery-operated products.