Silicon germanium rectifiers from Nexperia
Silicon Germanium (SiGe) rectifiers from Nexperia offer engineers cutting-edge efficiency, thermal stability and space savings in new product designs. The SiGe rectifiers, which are now being shipped by Farnell, are available with 120V, 150V, and 200V reverse voltages that combine the high efficiency of their Schottky diode counterparts with the thermal stability of fast recovery diodes.
Targetting automotive, communications infrastructure and server markets, the 1-3 A SiGe rectifiers are of particular benefit in high ambient temperature applications such as LED lighting, engine control units or fuel injection systems.
Design engineers using the new, extremely low leakage devices can now rely on an extended safe-operating area with no thermal runaway up to 175⁰C. At the same time, they can optimise their design for higher efficiency which is not feasible using fast recovery diodes commonly used in such high-temperature designs. By boosting a low forward voltage (Vf) and low Qrr, the SiGe rectifiers have an advantage of 10 to 20 per cent lower conduction losses.
Key features of Nexperia’s SiGe rectifiers include:
- Excellent efficiency
- Reduced reverse current (IR) compared to Schottky Diodes and lower forward voltage (VF) compared to fast recovery rectifiers for low power losses
- Fast and smooth switching, thermal stability up to 175 °C Tj, extremely low leakage current of < 1nA, low forward voltage and low Qrr
- Extended safe operating area
- Safe operation at high temperatures
- Stable operation at maximum reverse voltage
- Advanced clip bonded FlatPower (CFP) package
- Housed in industry standard rugged CFP3 and CFP5 packages, the SiGe rectifier family offers reduced package resistance for better electrical performance
- A solid copper clip for high thermal performance and power dissipation
- Easy pin-to-pin replacement with Schottky Diodes and fast recovery rectifiers
- Reduced package inductance for improved switching behaviour and less parasitic capacitance in the circuit
Designing in Nexperia’s innovative SiGe technology provides engineers with options to develop state of the art power circuitry and build market-leading new products. SiGe complements Nexperia’s power diodes range, which includes more than 100 Schottky Diodes and fast recovery rectifiers in the CFP package. Farnell stocks 12 different products within the SiGe rectifier family from Nexperia. The AEC-Q101 compliant rectifiers are available with repetitive reverse voltage Vrrm Max of 120 V, 150 V and 200 V options and the forward current IF (AV) of 1, 2 or 3 A.
Said Lee Turner, global head of Semiconductors and Single Board Computing at Farnell: “Nexperia is an expert in the high-volume production of essential semiconductor products, and we are very pleased to expand our range of SiGe rectifiers now available from stock. Designers are under constant pressure to deliver more performance from less space with new applications requiring the highest system efficiency and greatest system miniaturisation. It is essential that we provide our customers with market-leading solutions that offer the best efficiency, ease of thermal design and a small form factor to support critical applications in the automotive, server and communications markets”.
Nexperia’s extensive portfolio includes diodes, bipolar transistors, ESD protection devices, MOSFETs and GaN FETs as well as analogue and logic ICs. Headquartered in the Netherlands, Nexperia annually ships more than 90 billion products which meet the stringent standards set by the automotive industry. These best-in-class quality products are recognised as benchmarks in efficiency, in process, size, power and performance, with industry-leading small packages that save valuable energy and space.
Farnell offers an extensive range of products in its comprehensive semiconductor portfolio to support design engineers. Customers also have free access to online resources, datasheets, application notes, videos, webinars and 24/5 technical support.