TI introduces industry's first single-cell, dual-input Li-Ion battery charger family for tablets, e-readers and smartphones
Texas Instruments Incorporated today introduced a battery charger integrated circuit to support higher cell capacity batteries and increasing battery charge currents of tablets, e-readers and smartphones. The highly integrated single-cell Li-Ion battery charger has dual inputs, which allow operation from either a USB port or higher power input supply (AC adapter or wireless power input).The
Key features and benefits
• Integrated FETs support charge rates up to 2.5 A (10.5 W) from IN input, and 1.5 A from USB input.
• Dual source inputs, AC adapter and USB 2.0/3.0 compatibility provide flexibility in design and applications.
• D+/D- auto adapter for USB input ease system design and reduce external components.
• 20-V input with 10.5-V over voltage protection supports low-cost unregulated adapters and poor USB sources.
• Integrated power path allows system startup from deeply discharged or no battery power operating conditions.
• BC1.2 compliance, JEITA charging support and thermal regulation protection help to provide safe and accurate battery operation.
Tools and support
TI offers a variety of tools and support to speed the implementation of the bq2416x family of devices:
• bq24160EVM-721 evaluation module
• bq24160EVM-742 evaluation module
• bq2416x EVM User’s Guide
• bq2416x EVM software
Compatible TI devices
TI offers a number of compatible devices to work with or complement the bq2416x family, below are just a few.
• Single cell gas gauges
• Power management units
• Backlighting solutions
• Flash LED drivers
• OMAP processor family
Availability and pricing
The bq2416x battery chargers are available now in a 49-pin WCSP package; suggested resale pricing starts at $3.00 in quantities of 1,000.
11th October 2012
Integrated Li-Ion battery linear charger with power routing switch and parallel power paths for portable applications
23rd May 2012
Flexible 4A Charger ICs Offer Universal Input, Ultra-fast Charging, Safety and Tiny Solution Size in Smartphones and Tablets
19th May 2010
Diodes Incorporated - high-voltage dual-input charger for more reliable battery charging
31st March 2010
MAX8934: Dual-input linear charger safely charges a Li+ cell by adjusting charge rate and termination voltage according to temperature