Ethernet switch benefits from fast & simple deployment
A range of existing industrial Ethernet products has been extended with the introduction of the GECKO 4TX switch. The switch, from Belden, creates a new product category by combining the advantages of fully-managed switches with the benefits of fast and simple deployment.
With easy-to-implement management functionality, the GECKO 4TX allows users to focus on the essentials, making it convenient to configure and monitor without needing special IT know-how. The switch’s low power consumption also helps cut long-term operating costs. “For anyone reluctant to use managed switches because of their complex operation, the GECKO 4TX is the ideal alternative,” explains Product Manager Sebastian Preiss. “While its functional scope is not as extensive as a fully managed switch, the GECKO 4TX allows high network availability thanks to redundancy and diagnostic functions, and offers genuine added value compared to unmanaged devices.” The GECKO 4TX was designed with practical essentials in mind, including the proper level of management functionality. This concept allows the GECKO switches to deliver the required performance when unmanaged switches cannot. Other benefits include:
- The switch can be managed through Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) or via HiDiscovery and Industrial HiVision from Hirschmann. A web interface for HyperText Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) deployment is also available.
- For monitoring purposes, the switch provides diagnostic and documentation options, such as a system log, Remote Monitoring and Link Layer Discovery Protocol. Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol and Quality of Service functions are also supported.
- In-active ports can be disabled to protect against possible misuse.
- The switch can be mounted on a top-hat rail and requires little space thanks to its compact design (25 x 114 x 79 mm).
- Power consumption of less than 3 W for minimal electricity and energy efficiency.
- Additional features, such as, four Fast Ethernet ports (10/100 Mbit/s), IP30 protection rating, a temperature range from 0°C to +60°C, high shock and vibration resistance, and a 24 V DC power supply.
Ideally suited for use in smaller networks or on the edge of large installations, the robust and compact GECKO 4TX can be used in a wide range of areas, from solar farms to production lines for the food and beverage sector. Potential applications include machine and plant engineering, material handling, robotics and connection of production cells for various industries. The GECKO 4TX guarantees reliable data communication wherever it is installed.