Smart camera designed for surface imaging
STEMMER IMAGING has released its latest addition to the CVS trevista range of advanced industrial surface inspection systems that use the patented 2.5D ‘shape from shading’ process. This low cost CVS trevista CAM is a ready to use, completely self-contained 4MP smart camera system which has applications in automotive, print and packaging, test and measurement and the pharmaceutical Industry.
Shape from shading is a different approach that uses surface shading of an object to collect information on its 3D properties. Applications range from reading embossed codes on difficult and/or shiny and diffusely-scattering surfaces to testing for micron-level defects on demanding functional components.
CVS trevista CAM is an ‘out of the box’ solution which can be integrated into a manufacturing process with minimum engineering. It features an ADLINK NEON 4MP smart camera and lens, preconfigured with either iNspect Express or Sherlock measurement software from Teledyne DALSA and is integrated into a domed trevista illumination system.
Suitable for the surface inspection of curved surfaces, functional surfaces and visible parts, applications include:
- OCR and ID reading of embossed characters
- Detection of defects such as scratches, burrs, dents, discolouration or grinding marks
- Presence and documentation
Standard interfaces are provided for communication with a higher level control system.
The CVS trevista structured lighting unit is designed for imaging surface details and textures on difficult surfaces. A dome-shaped structure provides even diffuse illumination from four different directions and suppresses interference from ambient light. Using combinations of these individual sources, four images are produced for each inspection. These provide both topographic and textural information for the shape from shading process.
The images for each inspection are acquired at high speed using the STEMMER IMAGING Common Vision Blox imaging toolkit. Shape from shading algorithms are used to extract topographic and textural information from the images to allow the measurements to be made, using the onboard software. Two models offer users and integrators the flexibility for any application:
- CVS trevista CAM-INSPECT EXPRESS allows the rapid realisation of inspection projects without great image processing experience. It features iNspect Express, a vision application software specifically designed to simplify the design and deployment of automated inspection on the factory floor. iNspect offers new and experienced users alike a practical tool delivering uncompromised functionality that can be readily applied to a wide range of manufacturing tasks.
- CVS trevista CAM-SHERLOCK utilises Sherlock, an advanced machine vision software interface that can be applied to a wide variety of automated inspection applications. It offers maximum design flexibility and provides a rich suite of proven tools and capabilities.
CVS trevista CAM provides a very effective 100% surface inspection solution which allows fast, accurate and reliable measurements while minimising the chances of false rejects.
In addition to the CVS trevista CAM smart camera systems, STEMMER IMAGING can offer a range of CVS trevista illumination systems equipped with a choice of camera, matching lens, a PC and software, fully integrated into a complete system. CVS trevista Surface and CVS trevista Cylinder can be used for the inspection of flat, stationary component surfaces or cylindrical shell surfaces respectively. CVS trevista Multiline is used for the examination of components in rotational or translational motion.