TI simplifies design with the first 2-channel, simultaneous-sampling ADCs featuring two independently controlled internal references
Texas Instruments Incorporated today introduced the industry’s first two-channel, simultaneous-sampling successive approximation (SAR) analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) with two independently controlled internal references for simplified system-level design. The 16-bit ADS8363, 14-bit ADS7263 and 12-bit ADS7223 are pin-for-pin compatible and provide twice the per-channel throughput of similar ADCs, supporting speeds up to 1 MSPS for industrial and energy applications such as motor control, power quality measurement, protection relays, power automation, solar inverters and wind generators.
Key features and benefits
* Integrates two 2.5-V, independently controlled references to simplify system-level design, enabling separate ADC gain calibration and the implementation of a programmable gain amplifier. This feature also reduces the need for external signal conditioning when different gain levels are required for each ADC.
* 1-MSPS throughput increases efficiency for higher performance. When used for motor control, this increases the number of measurements per rotation, which provides finer motor position accuracy
* FIFO (First In, First Out) reduces processor accesses by 75 percent or more compared to alternative solutions. This can reduce system power consumption or increase performance by freeing MIPS for other tasks.
* Reduces component count by supporting up to eight pseudo-differential or four fully-differential input channels grouped into two pairs, doubling the number of supported inputs compared to the closest 16- and 14-bit competitors.
* Characterized for harsh industrial environments up to 125 degrees Celsius, making the ADS8363 the highest temperature-rated device in its class.
Free tools and support
TI offers a variety of free tools and support to speed development with the ADS8363, ADS7263 and ADS7223, including an IBIS model to verify board signal integrity requirements and calculators for anti-aliasing and circuit topography.
An evaluation module (ADS8363EVM), including the OPA365 rail-to-rail operational amplifier (op amp), is available to speed evaluation of these new ADCs. The ADS8363EVM can be ordered today for $49.