TI introduces new closed-loop I2S audio amplifiers
Texas Instruments announces a family of four digital-input, closed-loop I2S amplifiers for mid-power stereo audio applications including TVs, soundbars, portable docking stations, Bluetooth speakers, and aftermarket automotive audio products. The TAS5760xx devices feature high switching frequency, allowing designers to use smaller output filter components to reduce overall solution size and bill of materials cost.
They stream 20-W continuous power per channel without a heatsink, and deliver the industry’s best performance specifications, including THD+N of 0.03 percent at 1 W, crosstalk of -92 dB, and 66-uV idle channel noise.
The TAS5760xx are available in four pin-compatible, 48-pin versions: the TAS5760MD and TAS5760LD with headphone amplifiers/line drivers, and the TAS5760M and TAS5760L non-headphone versions. For customers that need a smaller footprint, the TAS5760M and TAS5760L are also offered in 9-mm by 6-mm, 32-pin packages.
Key features and benefits of the TAS5760xx:
- Highest mid-power performance: Industry’s best THD+N, crosstalk and idle noise, along with a closed-loop architecture that provides excellent power supply rejection ratio of 80 dB, allows amplifiers to maintain constant power even when the battery output fluctuates. Also enables use of lower cost power supply designs in systems with changing power supply levels, such as portable docking stations and Bluetooth speakers.
- Best thermal performance: Industry’s lowest RDS(on) of 120 mOhm delivers superior thermal performance for today’s consumer audio products that operate at high ambient temperatures.
- Reduced BOM cost and solution size: High switching frequency of up to 1.2 MHz reduces electromagnetic interference and allows the use of smaller output filters to lower BOM costsand reduce overall solution size.
- Widest supply range: Supports a wide voltage range from 4.5 V to 26.4 V, allowing both battery and AC line operation to satisfy the majority of mid-power applications.
- Design flexibility: Flexible configuration options via software (I2C) and hardware (GPIO pins) control modes support multi-channel system designs. Amplifiers can be combined with the PCM1808 stereo analog-to-digital converter, featuring 99-dB signal-to-noise ratio, to create a high-performance audio signal chain.
Tools and support
The TAS5760xxEVM can be purchased today for a suggested retail price of US$99. This evaluation module includes an easy-to-use ControlConsole graphical development suite to simplify the evaluation, configuration and debug of audio products. The ControlConsole’s graphical user interface reduces product development time by enabling quick evaluation of all TAS5760xx stereo amplifier functions. IBIS models are also available for verifying board signal integrity requirements.
Technical support is available on the Audio Forum in the TI E2ECommunity, where engineers can ask questions and get answers from TI experts.
Availability and pricing
The new closed-loop I2S amplifiers are available today in 12-mm by 8-mm, 48-pin TSSOP packages. Pricing in 1,000-unit quantities is as follows:
- TAS5760MD with integrated headphone, and maximum supply of 26.4 V: US$3.09.
- TAS5760M with no headphone, and maximum supply of 26.4 V: US$2.79.
- TAS5760LD with integrated headphone, and maximum supply of 16.5 V: US$2.89.
- TAS5760L with no headphone, and maximum supply of 16.5 V: US$2.59.