SiTime promises 25x better timekeeping for aerospace and defence
SiTime Corporation has announced a 32 kHz MEMS Super-TCXO that sets a new performance benchmark for timekeeping components in electronics. The SiT7910 is part of the SiTime Endura ruggedised family for aerospace and defence applications. Devices that use GPS signals, such as ruggedised handheld radios, ground vehicles and sensors, can acquire and lock to GPS more quickly and securely with the 25x higher precision of this Super-TCXO.
"The GPS signal is ubiquitous and is a crucial part of national security, everyday communications, financial systems, and power grid operations," said Piyush Sevalia, Executive Vice President of Marketing at SiTime. "However, it is susceptible not just to environmental disruptions but also to jamming and spoofing. GPS modernisation is a multibillion-dollar, multi-year effort to upgrade the system with better features, performance, and security. Instrumental to this modernisation is precision timekeeping, which ensures the faster and more secure acquisition of, and locking to GPS signals, even in the harshest of environmental conditions. Our SiT7910 Super-TCXO excels at overcoming these challenges. Like other SiTime products, it is another example of using our MEMS, analogue, and systems technologies to create precision timing solutions that solve the world's big problems today."
Sevalia continued, "We estimate that the SiTime product portfolio currently addresses a SAM (served addressable market) of approximately $2 billion. With products like Endura Super-TCXO and other recently introduced families, we are well on our way to growing our SAM to $4 billion by the end of 2024."
Key features of the Endura SiT7910 Super-TCXO
• 32.768 kHz frequency
• ±0.2 ppm frequency stability over -55°C to +105°C temperature range, up to 25x better than legacy quartz technology. The device maintains 1 second of accuracy for one year, vs. legacy quartz devices that can only maintain it for one to 14 days.
• Best-in-class 20 ppb/g g-sensitivity for resilience in high-vibration environments
• Ultra-low power consumption, typically 6.0 µA, for use in portable aerospace and defence electronics
• ±5 ppm frequency aging over 20 years, maintains device performance over decades
• 1.62 V to 3.63 V operating supply voltage range for design flexibility
• Small 2.5 x 2.0 mm package for space-constrained applications
• Pb-free, RoHS, and REACH compliant
• Endura enhanced screening flow for high quality and reliability