Saelig announces demo boards For Novel Pulsiv OSMIUM
Saelig has announced the availability of the Pulsiv PSV-AD-250-DS Evaluation Boards for the OSMIUM Microcontroller family, which enables rapid customer evaluation of the efficient Pulsiv power supply technology.
The Pulsiv OSMIUM AC to DC front-end demonstration boards allow engineers to quickly evaluate this unique cost-reducing power conversion technology for any application up to 250W. The boards support universal input and can be adapted to test a range of circuit configuration choices. Simply adding a preferred DC-DC converter on the HVDC output produces a complete power supply prototype, so that efficiencies and component choices under various load conditions can be evaluated. Components may be replaced in order to optimise performance, size, or cost.
Pulsiv OSMIUM is a novel patented power electronics technology for efficiently converting AC to DC. It involves charging/discharging a small storage capacitor without the need for a PFC inductor. The OSMIUM microcontroller family and supporting components can be combined with commodity flyback DC-DC converters to displace higher-cost LLC solutions, achieving an unrivalled efficiency profile. Reference designs are also provided to deliver a complete end-to-end solution that combine a Pulsiv OSMIUM microcontroller, AC to DC front-end circuit configuration, and a carefully selected DC-DC converter.
Pulsiv OSMIUM patented AC-to-DC power conversion method offers a number of benefits over conventional technologies, including:
- Higher efficiency: Pulsiv OSMIUM supplies can achieve industry-leading peak efficiency.
- Smaller size: Pulsiv OSMIUM supplies are typically smaller and lighter than conventional power supplies.
- Lower cost: Pulsiv OSMIUM supplies use lower-cost components than conventional power supplies.
- Reduced standby power consumption: Pulsiv OSMIUM supplies consume less power in standby mode, reduces energy waste.
- Improved reliability: Pulsiv OSMIUM power supplies offer a potentially longer lifespan with fewer failures.
- Inrush current is completely eliminated
- Digital grid failure detection: Pulsiv OSMIUM power supplies can detect grid failure in less than 1 millisecond, which can help to protect critical equipment.
Completely eliminating hazardous inrush current with a Pulsiv OSMIUM design means that manufacturers of industrial power supplies and LED lighting products can simplify their designs and reduce the cost of system installation. The technology also supports Active Bridge Control, Configurable Hold-Up, X-Cap Discharge, HVDC Output Selection, a Power Consumption Indicator and rapid Grid Failure Detection. These optional features can be selected as required to meet the needs of different end-use applications.
The PSV-AD-250-DS Development System can be used by designers to evaluate Pulsiv OSMIUM technology to improve overall system efficiency, reduce and optimise BOM cost, and contribute towards the widespread efforts of reducing global energy consumption. The Pulsiv OSMIUM design delivers a high power factor, and consistently high efficiency, in a compact system topology.