MCU-based face recognition with liveness detection
NXP Semiconductors has announced its latest NXP EdgeReady IoT solution for secure face recognition that enables original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to quickly, easily and inexpensively add vision-based touchless access control.
NXP’s turnkey solution includes the i.MX RT106F crossover microcontroller (MCU) and license to AI/ML-based face recognition software, which makes possible face recognition with liveness checking using infrared and RGB cameras, flash and SDRAM memories at a total cost lower than $10.
This solution can be used to implement face recognition for authenticating and operating secure machines, equipment, and access points for hotels, public buildings, and homes, including doors, locks, amenities, elevators, garage doors, security systems and more.
- Detects for liveness: The combination of an infrared camera operating in unison with a visible light (RGB) camera helps distinguish a real person from a photograph to prevent unauthorised access without the need for an expensive 3D structured light or time-of-flight (ToF) camera.
- Responds in half a second: Face detection, quality check, liveness detection and face recognition in less than 500 milliseconds at the MCU-based edge instead of the cloud.
- Enhances data privacy: Personal biometric data can all remain on the device at the edge to help address privacy regulations and concerns of many consumers.
- Maximises battery life: Fast MCU boot up time allows the device to remain in power-saving mode when not in use. Fast recognition time combined with the MCU’s low-active power further meets low-power system requirements.
- Registers biometrics remotely: Customisable example smartphone or PC application can enable biometric models to be sent to remote locks and other devices, allowing convenient control access for hospitality, smart building and smart home applications.
Customers can also speed time to market with the i.MX RT106F MCU-based development kit (SLN-VIZNAS-IOT). Unlike other development kits that require integration and coding, the NXP EdgeReady IoT solution for secure face recognition based on the i.MX RT106F development kit (SLN-VIZNAS-IOT) contains all the software and hardware information to complete designs in as little as six months. The kit includes schematics, bill of materials (BoM), board layout for a turnkey design experience, and the ready-to-use face biometric registration application.
The SLN-VIZNAS-IOT secure face recognition development kit is available now from NXP and authorised distributors, priced at MSRP of $199 each.
Available now, the i.MX RT106F MCU includes a license to use the NXP face recognition SDK. The device is available in consumer and industrial temperature grades, with a suggested resale price starting at $4.00 for 10,000-unit quantities.