Platform connects devices for medical applications
A universal and powerful platform for rapid development of smart and secure connected devices was introduced by Digi International. The ConnectCore for i.MX6UL Starter Kit delivers a complete hardware and software platform to create a wide range of connected devices for medical, healthcare, energy or industrial applications.
These offer the following:
- A complete IoT design platform: The kit allows designers to address all development needs including a reference design for module integration, a prototyping platform for quickly creating proof-of-concepts, and a complete development environment to bring module-based designs to mass production.
- Streamlined and rugged starter board: Built on the ConnectCore for i.MX6UL module, the starter board delivers all the features and capabilities to build wired and wireless connected devices. Features include:
- A compact 87x63mm form factor with mounting options, industrial operating temperature range, 256MB of highly reliable NAND flash, and 256MB DDR3 memory.
- Choice of wired and wireless network connectivity through 10/100 Mbit Ethernet networking, pre-certified 802.11a/b/g/n/ac networking and Bluetooth 4.2 with Bluetooth Low Energy (LE) connectivity.
- Grove connectors for rapid prototyping using a range of off-the-shelf Grove system sensors, breakout connector with access to all key module signals, USB host/device connectivity, SD card storage, and an on-board interference-hardened stamped metal antenna.
- An intelligent and secure communication engine: Based on the NXP i.MX 6UltraLite applications processor, the ConnectCore for i.MX6UL System-on-Module (SOM) is designed as an intelligent embedded platform featuring an extremely small footprint and low power consumption to build highly cost-effective and dependable connected devices without the traditional hardware or software design risk. The module offers a unique low-profile, patent-pending Digi SMTplus surface mount form factor slightly larger than a postage stamp that provides two cost-optimised integration options (fully featured LGA, and simplified castellated edge vias), and low power operation using seamlessly integrated Microcontroller Assist (MCA) capabilities.
With Digi’s complete Linux Board Support Package (BSP), the Starter Kit delivers an integrated and tested Yocto Project Linux software platform with regular maintenance based on current, stable releases with full source code access. Additionally, the Digi TrustFence Device Security Framework provides critical device security features out-of-the-box, such as secure connections, secure boot, encrypted file systems, access-controlled ports and seamless integration of a dedicated on-module Secure Element (SE).
“Digi is changing the traditional time-to-market dynamics for device manufacturers by dramatically reducing design efforts, complexity, risk, and cost. This kit delivers a proven Linux-based SOM platform with seamless and highly cost-effective integration of secure IoT connectivity for medical and industrial applications,” said Mike Rohrmoser, Director of Product Management, Embedded Systems at Digi International. “Exclusive features like the Digi TrustFence security framework, ultra-small footprint patent-pending Digi SMTplus form factor, and innovative Microcontroller Assist, make the ConnectCore 6UL module the ideal choice for intelligent connected devices.”
Digi also offers additional go-to-market options to its customers through the Digi Wireless Design Services team, offering design reviews, custom carrier board designs, antenna design/selection guidance, cellular integration and certification assistance.