Yamaha Motor launches RCXiVY2+ vision system
Yamaha Motor has announced that it will launch the RCXiVY2+ vision system, which features a new ‘blob detection’ enabling picking, presence recognition, and high-speed counting of multiple workpieces for irregular shaped objects such as foodstuffs and clothing, on June 1st.
As the successor to the existing iVY2, in addition to new functionality this new model features a high-performance camera and improved processing capability, enabling up to 45% detection time reduction compared to the current model.
A feature of Yamaha Motor’s vision system is its integration with robots by incorporating a vision board, lighting board, and tracking board in the RCX3 series multi-axis robot controller. This advanced integration enables unitary management of robot control, image processing, lighting control, and conveyor tracking data processing with only the robot program, significantly reducing equipment setup time.
The further addition of ‘blob detection’ functionality means that the system can now handle products such as foodstuffs and clothing - which tend to have greater variation in shape and size compared to industrial products - expanding its possible range of applications.
New functions of the RCXiVY2+
Blob detection which excels in recognizing irregular shaped objects
The word ‘blob’ evokes the image of an amorphous lump or mass. Blob detection functions take greyscale images (including variations in light and shade) captured by cameras, and apply certain threshold value criteria, converting them to black and white gradations through binary coded processing. This detection method can then recognize the presence/absence, number, size, etc. of blobs.
The RCXiVY2+’s blob detection can recognize workpieces between two and ten times faster than in the edge detection functions of previous models. This upgrade means that the new model can handle tasks such as picking, presence recognition, and high-speed counting of multiple workpieces of irregular shaped objects such as foodstuffs and clothing. The combination of the RCXiVY2+ and SCARA robots is ideal for high-speed conveyor tracking.
The search speed has been improved by 8 to 45% because of the improvement of CPU. In addition, the adoption of a high-performance camera has improved the number of pixels and frame rate.
- Simple auto-calibration function: High-precision camera calibration can be completed simply by following the easy-to-use wizard.
- Simple workpiece registration function: Workpiece registration takes just three steps - image capture, contour setting, and detection position registration.
- Integrated control of the vision program using only the robot program: There is no need to create a coordinate conversion program thanks to unified management from the robot program.
- Also handles moving cameras: Coordinates can be automatically converted to suit a robot's movements when a camera is installed on the robot.
- Wide range of product registration is possible: 254 product types can be registered for use in detection, meaning that changeover work can be carried out simply by changing the product number.
- Monitoring of detection status while robots are running in automatic mode: With the RCXiVY2+ Studio and an external monitor, monitoring of detection status while robots are running in automatic mode as well as reference mark detection status during calibration setting are possible.