Floating board-to-board connectors for automotive
Kyocera has introduced a new 0.5mm-pitch floating board-to-board connector series (F/P1 = 170%) for high-speed 16Gbps data transmission. Sold under the 5652 Series designation, the new connectors can float within ±0.85mm for easy and accurate mating. They are available now.
Furthermore, the 5652 Series are Kyocera’s first connectors to use the new ‘FloXY’ brand name, and the company plans to gradually expand the lineup in the future.
Demand for a safer, more secure driving experience is bringing revolutionary change to the automotive market, with rising demand for smart cars, electric vehicles, ADAS (Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems), and AD (Autonomous Driving). Essential to these systems are automotive devices such as Mobility Computers, IVI2, and LiDAR, which require connectors that can support high-volume, high-speed data transmission without latency.
Kyocera’s new 5652 Series connectors comply with USB 3.1 Gen.2 standards for high-speed data transmission, as well as other standards, including PCIe Gen.1 through Gen.4, MIPI D/C-PHY, SATA 3.0, and USB 3.1 Gen.1.
These connectors are available in a wide range of stacking heights, from 14 to 30mm, enabling more design options. They can withstand the extreme operating temperatures of up to 125°C required of in-vehicle equipment. Kyocera will continue to expand its product lineup and is currently developing other floating board-to-board connectors and high-pin-count (300+) connectors for high-speed data transmission with stacking heights 5.0mm.
- Complies with high-speed transmission standards such as PCIe Gen.4 (16 GT/s) and USB 3.1 Gen.2: The floating board-to-board connector complies with SATA 3.0, PCIe Gen.1 2.5 GT/s through Gen.4 16 GT/s high-speed transmission standard (16 GT/s) and is the industry's first*3 to comply with USB 3.1 Gen. 2. The target characteristic impedance ranges from 85Ω to 100Ω, making it possible to meet various high-speed transmission standards.
- Floating tolerance ±0.85mm: Kyocera’s new 5652 Series clicks during stacking to ensure proper mating, with high retention force to resist detaching. The 5652 Series is a floating connector with a 0.5mm pitch that can move ±0.85mm in the X and Y directions to absorb positional and mounting misalignment within the housing. The connector reduces the stress generated during use for long-term reliability and maximises both electrical and mechanical characteristics.
- Power terminal options: A dedicated power supply terminal can be assigned separately from the signal terminal according to the desired rated current.
- Board-to-board mounting height allowance ±0.75mm: Generally, the effective fitting length of a connector contact changes depending on the variation of distance between boards due to accumulated tolerances, which can affect data transmission characteristics. However, Kyocera’s 5652 Series can cope with a maximum ±0.75mm height tolerance between boards while still providing high-speed data transmission.
- Manufactured in a factory compliant with IATF 16949 for automotive applications at high temperatures: These highly heat-resistant products with operating temperatures ranging from -40°C to + 125°C are suitable for installation in automotive equipment such as ADAS and infotainment systems. They are also IATF 16949 compliant.
- RoHS compliant and halogen-free