5G cyber security: addressing new security issues
This is a 4-part blog series on the main challenges facing 5G deployments and how you can solve them with the right tools. Part 1 focuses on building complex networks, part 2 is about keeping costs low, this post covers infrastructure requirements, part 3 covers infrastructure requirements, and this final post explains the need to address new 5G cyber security issues.
Guest blog written by Paul Miller.
What new 5G cyber security issues must be considered?
5G, like any new, accelerative technology, will produce its share of new 5G cyber security risks. Given the distributed and sometimes remote nature of 5G far edge nodes, some unique capabilities need to be considered to mitigate that risk, such as:
- TPM (Trusted Platform Module) to secure edge site hardware via cryptographic keys
- QAT (Quick Assist Technology) with Key Protection
- Secure UEFI boot
- Zero Touch updates to keep infrastructure current and secure
Want to learn more about how to keep costs low in the 4G to 5G transition?
Download the eBook: Solving 5G’s Biggest Challenges for Communication Service Providers
How to handle 5G cyber security issues
Wind River takes a double-edged approach to secure 5G networks. First, we use secure design principles in the products we build from the start and constantly provide on going security monitoring and patches for all of our products.
We also provide extensive professional services to keep our clients secure. Wind River advises on security practices for 5G networks and cloud operations. Our Professional Services and Advisory teams can monitor 5G networks at all levels - from hardware to application software, operating systems, and switches - and issue patches when necessary.
Ensure security with Wind River
Wind River has a deep understanding of how threats are likely to evolve with the new interconnected IoT landscape. The Professional Services Team offers an innovative approach by combining our expertise with the secure software you need to operate your 5G networks.
- Consulting and planning: Can provide an initial solution assessment to determine the Wind River solutions that can best support your organisation’s goals.
- Development and integration: Wind River’s expertise and global development approach help internal development teams move quickly and make smart choices on everything from design to extensions to optimisation.
- Platform management: Organisations must keep legacy and embedded platforms up to date - Wind River can handle management for custom content and frozen branch maintenance.
- Internet of Things (IoT): Wind River can support your teams in meeting the challenges and realising the benefits of implementing IoT technology including interfacing, configuration, update, and development services.
- Certification: Wind River has expertise in meeting compliance for DO-178B/C, IEC 61508, and EN 50128.
Wind River understands that cyber security must be considered at every phase of product development - or in this case, 5G network design. Organisations must consider what is needed to secure individual hardware devices as well as the communication between devices, the network, and all other systems.
Courtesy of Wind River.