Brighter Lives, Better World 2020 sustainability program
Signify has successfully completed its Brighter Lives, Better World 2020 sustainability program, outperforming on most of the ambitious commitments set when launching the program in 2016. In 2020, the company achieved carbon neutrality for all of its operations across the world and use 100% renewable electricity.
The company also generated 84% of revenue from energy efficient products, systems and services, ahead of the target of 80%. On top of that, Signify sent zero waste to landfill across all manufacturing sites. With a supplier sustainability performance rate of 99%, Signify was well ahead of its 2020 target of 90%. The company want to assure a safe and healthy workplace for our employees and realised its best-ever safety performance with a total recordable case rate of 0.22, far below the target of 0.35.
“We’re thrilled to announce that we’ve successfully achieved all our 2020 commitments! All of us at Signify can be proud of delivering on our ambitious milestones on carbon neutrality, sustainable revenues, safety, supplier sustainability and zero waste to landfill,” said Nicola Kimm, Head of Sustainability, Environment, Health & Safety at Signify. “Now, we embark on a new, five-year journey to double our positive impact on the environment and society. We will do so by driving our Brighter Lives, Better World program, which is fully connected to our purpose and integrated into our overall company strategy and the way we do business.”
All of Signify’s 2020 achievements contribute to the six United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) where the company can make the biggest impact:
- Eight-four percent of revenues from a portfolio of sustainable products, systems and services, exceeding the 2020 target of 80%.
- A total of 2.923 billion LED lamps and luminaires delivered since 2015, avoiding the release of 72,988 kilotonnes of CO2.
- Carbon neutrality for all operations across the world.
- Use of 100% renewable electricity.
- Zero waste to landfill across all manufacturing sites.
- Best-ever safety performance (total recordable case rate of 0.22, target <0.35).
- 99% performance rate in supplier sustainability (target 90%).
- Lit the lives of 6 million people through expansion of solar lighting and supported 9,266 entrepreneurs with technical and business skills development since 2017.
In September 2020, Signify launched its new Brighter Lives, Better World 2025 program, with the SDGs as the company’s strategic compass. This program sets even more ambitious commitments. Signify will double its positive impact on society and the environment.
Signify takes a value chain perspective and will increase focus on the positive impact of light. Already carbon neutral in its operations, the company will extend its efforts to enable others to accelerate climate action with the following ambitions:
- Double the pace at which the company achieves the 1.5 C scenario of the Paris Agreement.
- Double Circular revenues to 32%.
- Double Brighter lives revenues to 32%.
- Double % of women in leadership to 34%.
As recognition of its progress, Signify has been a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index since its IPO for four consecutive years and were named Industry Leader in 2017, 2018 and 2019. In addition, the company was again included in CDP’s ‘Climate A list’ for reducing environmental impact, as well as in CDP’s ‘Supply Chain A list.’