Hamamatsu Photonics celebrates 70 years in advancing photonics technology
Hamamatsu Photonics, a global pioneer in photonics technology, is proud to announce its 70th anniversary, marking seven decades of achievements and contributions to the world of photonics.
Since its founding in 1953, Hamamatsu Photonics has made it its mission to advance science and technology by establishing photonics as a fundamental source of innovation for all its customers.
From its humble beginnings as a small factory in Hamamatsu City, Japan, the company has grown into a renowned provider of sophisticated detectors, sources, and imaging products ranging from components to complete systems.
"We will continue to propose solutions to our customers' problems and provide value that exceeds their expectations. In addition, we will continue to contribute to the world by understanding social, environmental, and human issues, and moving quickly and significantly through the ‘value creation cycle’ that solves them with technology and products.” Tadashi Maruno, Representative Director, and President.
Key milestones in Hamamatsu Photonics' 70-Year journey:
- 1953: Established Hamamatsu TV with the dream of linking optical technology with industry. Development of the first video camera product.
- 1959: Introduction of the first photomultiplier tube. Beginning of our first factories.
- 1960s: Business expansion and development. Taking up new challenges in unknown fields.
- 1970s: Preparation for the big leap. Laying the cornerstone for solid-state products and system products.
- 1980s: The age of photonics. Changing from Hamamatsu TV to Hamamatsu Photonics K.K.
- 1990s: Beginning of new explorations. Stepping forward to contribute to better human life.
- 2000s: Pioneering for the next generation. Aiming at creating new industries.
- 2010s: From Hamamatsu to the world. Making further progress toward global expansion.
- 2020s: Continued growth and expansion of product portfolio in photonics.