Design contest winners head to New York celebration
The 2019 winners of Mouser Electronics Create the Future Design Contest will be celebrated at a special awards reception and dinner in New York City on November 8. Mouser’s suppliers Intel and Analog Devices teamed with Mouser in sponsoring the 17th annual contest.
“Mouser congratulates the 2019 Create the Future Contest winners, and we applaud all of the participants and their creative ideas. Part of Mouser’s mission is empowering innovation, so we are very excited to support this global design contest,” said Kevin Hess, Mouser Senior Vice President of Marketing. “Our world is witnessing incredible advancements in electronic design thanks to today’s innovators and engineers.”
The $20,000 grand prize goes to the team at Vascular Perfusion Solutions (VPS), who developed ULiSSES, a small, self-contained, disposable device for organ and limb transport.
Finalists were judged by an independent panel of design engineers. Judges awarded the following category winners, who received prizes from HP and other companies:
- Grand Prize — ULiSSES. A small, self-contained, disposable device for organ and limb transport, keeping both viable for more than 24 hours without loss of patient use suitability.
- Aerospace & Defense — The Foldable Drone. A drone equipped with a fully autonomous quadrotor relying solely on onboard visual-inertial sensors and compute.
- Automotive/Transportation — The World's First Standalone AC Battery. A battery with a new type of electrode, the Biode, to enable an AC system for power storage to deliver batteries that have more capacity, last longer, and are safer.
- Consumer Products — Livox. An alternative communication software for non-verbal people with disabilities and people with learning impairments using machine learning and natural language processing.
- Electronics/Sensors/IoT — Simple, Cost-effective Sensor for Early Detection of Battery Faults. Sensor for detecting onset of battery faults, during charging and use, without negatively affecting battery performance.
- Medical — Cervical Stabilization Device (CSD). A cost-effective, non-invasive, medication-free, preventative treatment designed to support a successful and natural birth by addressing a wide range of conditions known to contribute to preterm birth.
- Manufacturing/Automation/Robotics — HPCI Joining Gun. A Heat Press Cool-Integrative tool that enables direct metal-to-polymer joining in a fraction of a second.
- Sustainable Technologies — Wave2O - Clean Water from Ocean Waves. The world’s first wave-driven desalination system that can be deployed quickly, operate completely “off-grid” and supply large quantities of clean, fresh water at a competitive cost.