Sub-GHz mesh network for long range low power application
Provider of RF modules and wireless connectivity solutions, Radiocrafts, has announced a new family of RF modules that creates a complete wireless IP mesh solution for long range IOT access. RIIM (Radiocrafts Industrial IP Mesh) utilises 6LoWPAN, a lightweight version of IPv6 allowing the user to access each sensor and controller from the internet using IP addressing.
The radio protocol uses IEEE 802.15.4 g/e providing bi-directional communications with short transmission pulses that enables dense networks with high reliability and very low power consumption.
“Radiocrafts has always been focused on enabling customers to get fast to market with proven Quality,” said Peder Martin Evjen, Managing Director at Radiocrafts. “RIIM is a continuation of this legacy with a compact RF module as the foundation, combined with simple set-up, and a novel solution to interface any sensor or actuator. We call this ICI, Intelligent C-programmable I/O. It allows our customers to create complex applications managing and interfacing sensors and actuators in less than 100 lines of C-code, removing the need for an external microcontroller in the devices.”
A complete RIIoT network includes sensor nodes based on the RC1882CEF-IPM module. The module can be configured as any of the required network nodes, a border router, a mesh router or a leaf node.
The new Wireless IP Mesh solution is low cost, does not require any license or subscription, and is very low power.
Key features of RIIM:
- 868 or 915 MHz frequency.
- Mesh network topology.
- IPv6 addressing of each leaf node.
- Supporting several hundred nodes in a network.
- Very low power consumption, five-year lifetime on a 2000mAh coin cell battery.
- Universal sensor/actuator ICI interface (no external MCU required).
- Up to 20km range, Line of sight, High Power option.
- Up to 29 mesh hops supported.
- Ethernet access to the RIIM network via the Radiocrafts border router.
- Cloud compatible via the CBOR protocol.