Developers of embedded industrial, medical and consumer designs demand flexible architectures to support multiple industry-specific peripherals and interfaces. To address the evolving needs of these market spaces, Texas Instruments Incorporated today announced four new Sitara™ ARM9 microprocessors (MPUs) and evaluation modules (EVMs) packed with a plethora of integrated connectivity options.
Unlike other ARM9 offerings, TI’s AM1808, AM1806, AM1707, and AM1705 MPUs integrate notable interfaces such as a serial ATA (SATA), universal parallel port (uPP) and TI’s unique Programmable Real-time Unit (PRU). The PRU offers flexible and configurable I/O control enabling developers to extend peripheral capabilities and add custom interfaces to their designs. The hardware and software scalability of the AM1x devices are coupled with a suite of software, demos and development tools to reduce customers’ time to market.
AM1x key features and benefits:
· 375 and 450 MHz ARM9 options
· Unique PRU enhances system flexibility and offers full user configurability when desired
o Extend system peripheral needs with the ability to implement and tune standard, custom and “lite” versions of common and proprietary serial interfaces, such as UART and CAN
o Achieve maximum efficiency since the PRU offloads the ARM9 to improve application processing capacity, reduce overall power consumption, eliminate latency and improve real-time responsiveness
· Unique peripheral mix includes SATA, uPP, USB 2.0 on-the-go (OTG) with integrated PHY, USB 1.1 with integrated PHY, 10/100 Ethernet MAC, MMC/SD and more for smooth implementation of data, network, device and sensor communications
· Pin-to-pin compatibility with TI’s OMAP-L1x processors protect customers’ code investment with the capability to scale up to the OMAP-L1x to integrate real-time data, video and audio processing capabilities or for OMAP-L1x developers to scale down to the AM1x to create cost-effective, entry-level products
· Scale performance and power efficiency, utilize numerous peripherals and drive down system cost across product lines while leveraging existing hardware and software investments with TI’s Sitara product family
· With TI’s Sitara family, developers can confidently turn their design concepts into leading innovations for a myriad of end-equipments, including industrial and home automation, point-of-service, portable data terminals and educational consoles.