TI is showcasing the LM5017 in booth #401 at the Applied Power Electronics Conference and Expo (APEC) in Orlando, Florida, Feb. 6-8. APEC is one of the industry’s leading conferences for practicing power electronics professionals.
The 600-mA LM5017, together with the 300-mA LM5018 and 100-mA LM5019 available in April, enables direct point-of-load voltage regulation from input voltages as high as 100-V. This eliminates external transient voltage suppressors or clamps required to achieve reliable operation in high-voltage applications. Integrated MOSFETs eliminate freewheeling Schottky diodes and improve efficiency. Pin-compatible 4-mm by 4-mm LLP packaging offers a scalable solution that covers a wide range of power
requirements. Constant on-time (COT) control architecture provides excellent load transient response with no loop compensation required, further reducing the PCB area and simplifying the power supply design process. Watch a video at www.ti.com/lm5017-prv.
The new switching regulators can also be used as isolated bias supplies for systems requiring small, efficient isolated power supplies. Unlike alternative flyback solutions, the LM5017 operates at switching frequencies up to 1-MHz, dramatically reducing the size and cost of the transformer. Watch a lab demonstration at www.ti.com/lm5017-prvdemo.
For applications that require fixed frequency operation, TI’s 100-V UCC25230 isolated bias supply switching converter supports up to 200-mA output current and uses a voltage mode control topology with input feed forward.
Key features and benefits of the synchronous buck regulators
• Wide 9-V to 100-V input voltage range improves system reliability in a variety of designs.
• 600-mA LM5017, 300-mA LM5018 and 100-mA LM5019 are pin compatible and support both non-isolated step-down and isolated power supply applications.
• COT control architecture provides fast transient response and eliminates the need for loop compensation, lowering cost and simplifying design.
• Integrated high-side and low-side N-Channel MOSFETs improve efficiency and eliminate external Schottky diode.
• Integrated high-voltage startup regulator provides bias power for internal operation of the IC and for integrated gate drivers.
• Peak current limit and over temperature detection protect the device from overload. Under voltage threshold and hysteresis can be independently programmed.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The LM5017 is available in volume now from TI and its authorized distributors. The LM5018 and LM5019 will be available in April. Offered in a thermally-enhanced 8-pin LLP package measuring 4-mm by 4-mm, the suggested retail price of the LM5017 is $1.65, the LM5018 is $1.40 and the LM5019 is $1.25 in 1,000-unit quantities. The LM5017 in an 8-pin PSOP package will be available in March.