The STi7106 delivers cost and performance advantages for all set-top box markets, including basic zapper boxes and digital video recorders. By supporting the latest HD standards, as well as HD formats such as AVS, which is important for the STB market in China, the STi7106 delivers a low-cost and high-performance solution for products deployed in all geographic regions.
The STi7106 offers best-in-class power consumption and heat dissipation. Enhanced power management further extends the STi7106’s low-power credentials, helping end products to meet power-saving initiatives such as the International Energy Authority’s 1W Plan, which aims to save up to 1% of global CO2 emissions by targeting sub-1W standby power for all electronic products.
“ST’s set-top-box solutions are the most widely deployed throughout the world, which has been achieved by targeting innovation that adds value to the digital TV experience, while fulfilling the requirements of all players in the value chain,” said Philippe Lambinet Executive VP and General Manager of ST’s Home Entertainment and Displays Group. “Through its exceptional level of integration, the STi7106 offers the high performance and extended functionality required to offer the richest viewing experience while respecting regulatory low power requirements.”
“With new high-definition channels being added in China we see good opportunities in a growing HD set-top-box market,” said Mr Wang, Vice General Manager of Jiuzhou. “With the addition of AVS HD decode capability to the STi7106 we can future proof our products, ensure forward compatibility and at the same time benefit from the investment we have made in ST products.”
Technical features of the STi7106 include:
* Increased performance - more than 1000DMIPS on host CPU
* High-performance graphics processor - triple-source 2D blitter engine, tile ram bandwidth saver, compositor and 1080p output
* Enhanced connectivity - Dual e-SATA for DVR applications; Dual USB 2.0 ports; 1000-Mbit/s GMII Ethernet; and 8-bit SD-MMC/SDIO interface for memory cards
* Embedded security - DES, TDES, AES, and DVB descramblers, as well as support for digital rights management via Windows DRM 10 and Secure Video Processor (SVP) standards
* Secure connectivity to HD displays - Support for HDMI and High Definition Copy Protection (HDCP)
The STi7106’s high performance and highly flexible decoder also implements ST’s advanced digital noise reduction algorithms to optimize picture quality in various applications and environments. In addition, an enhanced security architecture enables authenticated boot from serial Flash and NAND Flash, allowing designers to use cost-competitive memories.
The STi7106 is available now in sample quantities in a 27 x 27 PBGA package. Comprehensive development support for rapid time-to-market includes source code for STAPI software drivers, as well as the STi7106 evaluation platform and reference design with integrated drivers and support for satellite, terrestrial, cable and DSL demodulators.