The 24 new F673x/F672x devices also achieve more precise measurements through an increased sampling rate and superior linearity over multiple operating conditions, such as current range and time, resulting in a stable system solution. These devices are TI’s first 6xx series microcontrollers with integrated 24-bit sigma-deltas and a 320-segment LCD controller. Compared to the previous 160-segment solution, developers can leverage enhanced segmented LCDs with more programmability and enable more characters on displays, especially with Asian languages. As part of the MSP430™ microcontroller portfolio, the F673x/F672x devices are designed for ultra-low-power modes, ensuring the LCD display is consuming as little power as possible during operation.
MSP430F673x/F672x microcontrollers’ tools and software for simplified development
TI’s free MSP430 Energy Library is available to support metrology software on the new F673x/F672x devices, providing an easy startup for customers developing a utility meter product. Developers can test and experience accuracy results with the MSP430F6736 EVM, a single-phase electricity meter as well as program and debug F673x/F672x devices with the MSP-TS430PZ100B target board and MSP-FET430U100B flash emulation tool.
Key features and benefits of the MSP430F673x/F672x family
• Powerful 24-bit sigma-delta with programmable gain amplifier and less than 0.1 percent accuracy across a 2400:1 dynamic range enables the F673x/F672x family to meet class 0.1 meters and exceed IEC62053/ANSI C12.20
• Sigma-delta converter offers independent channels for voltage, current and tamper detection, reducing energy measurement software development and security concerns
• 320-seg LCD driver, which enables segment and blinking control and dual display memory, can also run in 8-MUX mode to support multiple LCD devices
• Real-time clock and calendar mode operates from separate voltage supply with programmable charger for accurate data logging and measurements with no loss of data
• Ultra-low power consumption at 1.4 µA in standby mode with ultra-fast wake up at less than 3 µs
• MSP430 electricity metering selection tool provides an easy way for developers to find the right product for their applications.
• Free MSP430 Energy Library supports metrology software measurements, such as voltage, energy and tamper detection