Broadcom announced a new 3G baseband processor that integrates a powerful ARM Cortex A9 processor with high-end 3D graphics support and advanced processing for mass-market Android handsets. Manufactured in the advanced 40 nanometer (40nm) CMOS process, the new Broadcom BCM21654 HSPA processor provides mainstream smartphones with superior graphics and user interface performance that rivals high-end devices. It also includes built-in support for Android 2.3 and future releases.
A complete Android smartphone platform solution is available by combining the BCM21654 baseband processor with other Broadcom products, including:
* The BCM2091 radio frequency (RF) IC,
* The BCM59039 advanced power management unit (PMU) with charger and audio support, and
* a full complement of Broadcom's world-class connectivity devices, including the BCM4329 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/FM combo chip and the recently announced BCM47511 GPS chip with GPS + GLONASS support.
This powerful processor is the first to bring Cortex A9 processing power and extensive connectivity support into low cost 3G Android handsets.
* The same features that have made high-end smartphones widely popular are also driving demand for a more affordable tier of handsets with similar capabilities. Features such as the ability to run apps, view and share media, and enjoy a dynamic touch-screen experience are now required at lower price points.
o This new baseband platform will enable handsets that satisfy a broader consumer demand for smartphones, with lower smartphone price points that will help drive increased data plan subscribers while enabling growth in data traffic and ARPU (average revenue per user) among cellular operators.
o Building on the industry leading capabilities of the BCM21553 baseband, the BCM21654 brings even more powerful performance to the mainstream of the smartphone segment.
* The Broadcom BCM21654 baseband processor for Android smartphones includes the following advanced features:
o Best-in-class ARM Cortex A9 processor for superior applications processing and advanced user interface support along with an ARM Cortex R4 communications processor.
o An integrated 3G HSPA modem that supports 7.2 Megabits per second (Mbps) of downstream connectivity, 5.8 Mbps upstream, as well as Class 32 EDGE support for greater flexibility and worldwide roaming.
o Dual-SIM capabilities that allow consumers to use the same handset for two different phone numbers or accounts, enabling applications such as access to work and personal cellular calls with one handset.
o The popular VideoCore® IV mobile multimedia processor core that delivers high-end smartphone capabilities:
+ 30 frames per second (fps) of playback and supports full-rate video standards such as H.264 at high-quality VGA resolution
+ An industry leading 3D graphics engine that enables up to 20 million triangles per second
+ A 12 megapixel (JPEG) camera
+ Support for 16 million colors, up to WVGA, and dual-displays
o Broadcom's complete connectivity suite that features industry-leading Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and GPS solutions, all supported by InConcert® technology that makes these various radio technologies work better together and with less interference.