STMicroelectronics Drives Power-Package Miniaturization While Exceeding Appliance-Safety Standards
News Release from:
22 March 2011
STMicroelectronics has introduced a new package that will allow the further miniaturization of control modules that must meet strict safety specifications such as IEC 60370 and IEC 60335.
ST is initially using its new three-lead surface-mount package, SMBflat, to house selected products including an AC switch, an SCR (silicon-controlled rectifier) and three types of Triac, which are widely used in circuits such as valve, motor or pump controls, lamp igniters and circuit breakers.
* Occupying half the printed-circuit-board (PCB) area of the popular SOT-223, the new package allows ST’s new ACS108 1-Amp AC switch to achieve the highest ever current density - a key figure of merit - for this type of device.
* The SMBflat package is also 40% skinnier than the SOT-223, which increases freedom for designers to miniaturize enclosures.
* Additionally, the ‘creepage’ distances of ST’s X02 series SCRs and Z01 series Triacs, which use this new package, will help meet the insulation requirements of the major safety standards for domestic and industrial electrical equipment (IEC 60370 and IEC 60335).
* A specific footprint can be designed on the PCB, where either SOT-223 or SMBflat packages can be soldered. This solution guarantees full compatibility of both packages and provides flexibility at the production stage.
Major features of the SMBflat package:
* Package dimensions: 3.95 x 4.6 x 1.1mm
* PCB footprint solution compatible with SOT-223
* 3.4mm creepage distance
* RoHS compliant and halogen free
The SMBflat package is a feature of the ACS108-6SUF-TR AC switch, X0202NUF silicon controlled rectifier (SCR), and the Z0103/07/09MUF series of Triacs. All devices are available immediately in sample quantities. Outline pricing is $0.21 for Z01xxMUF Triacs, $0.31 for the X0202NUF and $0.50 for the ACS108-6SUF-TR, all in minimum quantities of 5000. Alternative pricing options are available for larger orders.