TI’s stepper motor driver reduces board space while improving thermal performance, system reliability and efficiency
News Release from:
20 April 2012
Texas Instruments Incorporated today introduced a 2.5-A stepper motor driver that runs up to 30-percent cooler than the next closest competitor. The highly integrated DRV8818 features low RDS(ON) to improve thermal efficiency, reducing board and ambient temperature rises. The device improves system reliability and efficiency while maintaining high motor performance in industrial, medical and consumer applications, such as textile manufacturing, pumps, light industrial automation and printers.
Key features and benefits of the DRV8818
• Excellent thermal performance: Typical RDS(ON) of 150 milliohms, low-side, and 220 milliohms, high-side, improves efficiency and reduces ambient and board temperatures for improved system reliability.
• Configurable motor performance: Flexible decay modes and timing parameters reduce audible noise and vibrations to improve system stability and performance.
• Built-in microstepping: Integrated indexer simplifies current regulation, enabling full, half, quarter and one-eighth microstepping, for a smoother motion profile.
• Robust, reliable and fully protected: Advanced on-chip protection, including over-current, over-temperature, shoot-through and under-voltage lock-out increases system reliability and manufacturing yields.
• Pin-to-pin compatibility: Compatible with the existing 1.9-A DRV8811 for lower-current systems, enabling current scalability with a single common design.
Tools and support
The DRV8818EVM evaluation module is available today for a suggested retail price of US$99. Features of the DRV8818EVM include:
• Pre-programmed MSP430 microcontroller for out-of-the box use.
• Advanced user interface to support acceleration, deceleration and motion profiles.
• On-board potentiometers to adjust voltage reference, decay ratio, blanking time and off time.
• Control and status signals accessible through test headers.
Package, availability and pricing
The DRV8818 motor driver is available today in a 10-mm x 6-mm HTSSOP package for a suggested retail price of US$2.25 in 1,000-unit quantities.