EEE with Feature-Rich Gigabit Single PHY Family from Broadcom
News Release from:
12 September 2012
Broadcom today announced the industry's most feature-rich Gigabit single physical layer transceiver family with new AutoGrEEEn Plus technology. Optimized for power-intensive Ethernet network applications, the BCM54210E PHY family is the world's smallest footprint, lowest power single Gigabit PHY, delivering up to 70 percent1 savings in operating power.
AutoGrEEEn Plus, Broadcom's latest green technology innovation, expands energy saving throughout the network by automatically reducing the power consumption of the device when there is no active data transmission. The technology can be deployed when the device is in Energy Efficient Ethernet mode communicating with an EEE link partner or when linked to a non-EEE enabled device. Operating power can be reduced as much as 95 percent when idle, when two-thirds of energy costs are incurred2.
With integrated SyncE+, the BCM54210E 10/100/1000BASE-T PHY family delivers timing synchronization capabilities at the physical layer, allowing carriers to deliver more efficient and reliable connectivity with fewer service interruptions.
• Fully compliant to Energy Efficient Ethernet for 1000BASE-T and 100BASE-TX as defined by the IEEE Std 802.3-2012 standard
• Broadcom AutoGrEEEn Plus technology extends EEE power savings to legacy MACs and non-EEE devices
• Integrated WOL enables remote system activation over the network, reducing system power and complexity
• SyncE+, SyncE, IEEE 1588v2 PTP and ITU-T Y.1731 delay measurement support
• Enhanced cable plant diagnostics that detect cable plant impairments
Kevin Brown, Broadcom Vice President & General Manager, PHY commented: energy efficient networking is a reliable, cost-effective way to lower power and meet the demands of mobile and consumer applications. By integrating EEE technology and Wake-On-Lan features in the physical layer, Broadcom delivers innovation that significantly reduces power consumption and speeds time-to-market.
All devices are now sampling with production volume slated for the first half of 2013.
The BCM54210E single-port Gigabit PHY family consists of the following devices:
• BCM54210E: Single-port RGMII 10/100/1000BASE-T PHY
• BCM54214E: Single-port RGMII 10/100/1000BASE-T PHY w/SyncE+ & IEEE 1588v2 PTP
• BCM54216E: Single-port GMII 10/100/1000BASE-T PHY
• BCM54219E: Single-port GMII 10/100/1000BASE-T PHY w/SyncE+ & IEEE 1588v2 PTP