telematics, communications, powertrain, chassis, safety systems, USB, cables, connectors
Molex Boosts Electronic Content and Connectivity in Commercial Vehicles
News Release from:
11 August 2011
Molex Incorporated has expanded its support to commercial vehicle OEMs and suppliers with a broad portfolio of connectors, cables, and assembly options for industrial vehicles and equipment, recreational vehicles, construction equipment, marine equipment, and industrial control modules, radios, pumps and sensors.
Spotlight on rugged user access ports, point-to-point connector assemblies, and in-vehicle networking solutions that have been road-tested in some of the world’s most demanding applications
“The industry has driven development of feature-rich connectivity solutions for. Molex has met this demand with innovative technologies that raise the bar on electronic content and user functionality,” explains Corey Schroeder, Commercial Vehicle Industry Marketing Manager, Molex. “Integrated platforms and in-vehicle features help differentiate and bring brand value to OEM customers. Powerful cross-technologies provide invaluable tools for designers tasked with developing scalable, flexible, and economical platforms for smarter, connected vehicles and fleets.”
Designing and integrating electronics for commercial transportation can present unique challenges. Electronic platforms must meet stringent design specifications and performance requirements. Cost, compatibility, electrical voltage issues and in-vehicle signal integrity are important considerations. Molex offers an array of user access ports, point-to-point connector assemblies, and in-vehicle networking solutions that have been tested and validated in demanding commercial transportation applications:
• Customer Convenience Port (CCP) modules optimise the power supply and connectivity to high-speed audio, video displays, CD players, DVD players and navigation devices. CCP custom options include full I/O integration with optional HSAutoLink™, USB, SD memory cards, HDMI*, IEEE† 1394, EtherNet, Bluetooth‡ and auxiliary jack media ports.
• Sealed, high-density CMC Hybrid Connectors perform in high-conductivity applications and harsh environments, including heavy-duty engine-control units, compartment applications, gearboxes, electronic parking brakes, and suspension controllers.
• HSAutoLink High-Speed Databus USCAR-30** USB, 1394 and LVDS cable assemblies offer a rugged interface durable up to 5,000 cycles. Commercial applications for HSAutoLink include infotainment, telematics devices, safety cameras, and other in-vehicle applications.
• The small-profile Mini-Fit® H2O IP-67-rated system with pre-installed seals meets the need for weatherproof, compact connections in wire-to-wire applications up to 4.0A per circuit. A mid-range power connector for use in weatherproof applications, the Mini-Fit H2O system ensures connector integrity when submersed in water.
• Submersible MX150™ sealed connectors deliver superior sealing and electrical performance in low-level signal and power applications up to 22.0A. Designed for direct wire-to-board connections found in high-temperature under-hood and chassis systems, the optimized interface meets IP6K7 and IP6K9K sealing requirements.
• The Stac64™ product family offers a stackable, modular housing connector system to gang headers together in telematics, navigation and instrumentation applications. The space-saving 20-circuit header and receptacle housings are moulded in standard USCAR colour schemes and ship preassembled for ease of assembly.
“OEMs can gain a competitive advantage by tapping into high performance and reliable electronic content and customisation. Leveraging Molex expertise in high-speed cable assemblies, these are some of the key technologies ushering in ‘connected’ commercial vehicles,” adds Schroeder.
Molex commercial components and solutions are UL certified, CSA approved, TUV licensed, and qualified through ASTM (American Society of Testing and Material) standards testing. Components are lead-free and RoHS compliant. All Molex manufacturing facilities are ISO9000 and ISO14000 certified.