TPS22980, TPS22985, DS100TB211, HD3SS0001, LM3017, LMZ10501
TI introduces industry’s first family of ICs designed to support Thunderbolt Technology
News Release from:
20 March 2012
Texas Instruments Incorporated today introduced the industry's first integrated circuit (IC) portfolio optimized for Thunderbolt Technology. The Thunderbolt high-speed interface standard supports dual 10.3 Gbps transfer lanes, aggregating PCI Express and DisplayPort into a single cable to enable both data and display over a single cable. TI is the only supplier to provide the full ecosystem of devices, allowing customers to do more by offering the right products to speed design with Thunderbolt.
Enabling the design from the host PC through the cable to the peripheral, TI’s initial product offering includes six devices. The TPS22980 power load switch resides on both the host and device side, facilitating the delivery and receipt of power to both the active cable and the connected device. The LM3017 boost and battery disconnect and HD3SS001 FET switch work in tandem on the host to connect to the cable where the TPS22985 power load switch, DS100TB211 signal conditioning retimer with clock and data recovery (CDR) and LMZ10501 SIMPLE SWITCHER® nano module reside. All devices are designed to work seamlessly to provide an optimum Thunderbolt user experience. To view the block diagram see: www.ti.com/thunderbolt-preu.
“Thunderbolt™ technology brings unprecedented I/O performance and versatility to the PC platform,” said Jason Ziller, director of marketing and planning for Thunderbolt technology at Intel. “Texas Instruments’ new devices will accelerate Thunderbolt product makers’ development and time-to-market, and help accelerate Thunderbolt ecosystem growth.”
Thunderbolt device key features and benefits
TPS22980: 3.3V to 18V power load switch
• Single, integrated solution saves board space and simplifies system design by providing a dual voltage switch with an adjustable current limit that prevents damage to the connected device.
• High-voltage discharge before low-voltage connection protects components from over-voltage exposure.
TPS22985: Power selection device
• Single, integrated solution manages all power delivery through a Thunderbolt technology cable, simplifying cable designs.
• Optimized for use with the DS100TB211 for cable implementation, minimizing required external circuitry and saving space in the active cable form factor.
DS100TB211: Signal conditioning retimer with CDR
• Dual-lane retimer with adaptive four-stage equalization enables thin, inexpensive 40-AWG cable.
• Integrated clock synthesis and power filtering reduces bill-of-materials cost and PCB layers.
• On-chip cable diagnostics lowers assembly time, cost.
HD3SS0001: Data source selection switch
• Single solution integrates multiple discrete components, saving board space.
• Optimized pinout for routing from signal sources to connector.
LM3017: Boost controller with true shutdown
• True shutdown protects battery from excessive current draw in a short circuit condition.
• Meets both broadband output noise and ripple requirements with less than 50-mV peak-to-peak.
• Output power capability delivers up to 30-W for driving two Thunderbolt ports at 15-W each.
• +/- One percent reference voltage provides accurate output to power load switch.
LMZ10501: 1A SIMPLE SWITCHER® nano module with integrated inductor
• Integrated inductor saves board space and eases design.
• High efficiency up to 97 percent reduces system heat generation.
• Adjustable output voltage provides design flexibility.